Property guardian

Property guardian – this legal term is used in Family Law, where details a special guardian (usually hired by the court) who has to take care of the property of underage child (called “ward”). The ward is not able to conduct their own legal affairs themselves, so the court appoints the property guardian, who is entitled to custody and control the ward.

Property guardian could also be appointed to protect the interests and to supervise the property of an adult person who, usually due to mental incapability, can not manage his/her affairs on their own.

The property guardian is considered a fiduciary—a person who occupies a position of trust and is legally obligated to protect the interests of the ward in the same manner as his or her own interests.

Posted in: P