Taking against the will

A procedure under state law that gives a surviving spouse the right to demand a certain share (usually one-third to one-half) of the deceased spouse’s property. The surviving spouse can take that share instead of accepting whatever he or she inherited through the deceased spouse’s will. If the surviving spouse decides to take the statutory share, it’s called “taking against the will.” Dower and curtesy is another name for the same legal process.

Posted in: T